03301 00 87 20
Add to Favourites

Motor Trade Road Risks Insurance

Whatever you do in the motor trade, it is likely that at some stage in carrying out your business activities, you will have customer vehicles in your care, custody or control. A motor trade Road Risks policy is specifically designed to ensure you meet the minimum insurance requirements when this happens. It also covers vehicles owned by you.

What does it cover?

  • Named drivers only.
  • Vehicles owned by you or your spouse (if they are a named driver); or
  • Customer’s vehicles, whilst in your care, custody or control – only in respect of motor trade use; or
  • Trade vehicles – if you buy and sell cars, it covers these. If you chose Third Party, Fire & Theft or Comprehensive cover, the value is based on ‘trade’, not ‘retail’ prices.

The policy does not define vehicles by specific registration number. But we still need you to tell us about those owned by you, whether for your own use or held for trade purposes. We don’t charge an additional premium per vehicle - as long as it is of a type you have already told us you work with! 

Things to consider:

  • Who needs to drive? Only drivers named on the Certificate of motor Insurance are covered, unless you have included Accompanied Demonstration Use and it is for that purpose.
  • Who owns the vehicle? The policy only covers those owned by you or your spouse (if they are a named driver under the policy), and vehicles in your care, custody and control for motor trade purposes.
  • What is a vehicle to be used for? Use of customers vehicles for any purpose other than in connection with your motor trade business is not covered.
  • What type of vehicles do you work with? You must tell us the type of vehicles you work with, so we can ensure you have the cover you require. Certain vehicle types are excluded, unless we have specifically extended cover in writing. These are listed on your policy schedule - please check this carefully. Generally speaking, if you work with cars, motorcycles and light commercial vehicles, this policy should be suitable for your needs. We will ask you exactly what type of vehicles you work with, and let you know if any of them are restricted in any way. Specific examples of acceptable vehicles include classics, grey imports, modified, LHD, kit cars, Q plates, certain commercial vehicles over 3.5 tons, agricultural vehicles and caravanettes/campers. (Please note that certain specific terms may apply.)

Cover options:

We can offer a number of different types of cover. Whether you need these will depend on your attitude to risk and the type of work you undertake in the motor trade.

Optional Additional Extras:
  • Level of cover: Third Party only, Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive. Don’t assume Comprehensive will cost a lot more – you may be surprised at how much cover you can afford.

  • Accompanied demonstration use: If you buy and sell vehicles, do you want to allow potential customers to test drive them? It may help you secure a sale and may not cost as much as you think.

  • Vehicles in Transit: If you are involved in moving vehicles (perhaps on a recovery truck or trailer) then our standard policy covers your minimum insurance requirement in doing so. But if you have Comprehensive cover, you can extend this to cover vehicles in transit as well.

  • Vehicles at business premises: If you are involved in vehicle sales from Commercial premises, you may want to extend your Comprehensive policy to cover vehicles whilst left at the business premises. (Note: if you trade from home, this cover is automatically included.)

  • Protected No Claims Bonus: These days, your NCB can make a big difference to your premium, but it can quickly be lost, even if the accidents are not your fault. Why not protect it, for a small additional premium?

‚Äč‚ÄčOptional Products:

  • Motoring legal solutions – is an optional product that provides cover for legal costs and expenses incurred in pursuing claims arising from a non-fault accident involving an insured vehicle.

For more information on the specific cover provided and exclusions that apply, please take a look at our Road Risks Summary of Cover, Road Risks Policy Wording and our Motor Legal Solutions Summary of Cover.

Other cover we offer:

Road Runner can also provide you with motor trade Liability and Premises insurance. So if you want to protect yourself against claims from employees or third parties, or want to protect the money you have invested in your tools and equipment, check out the Liability and Premises insurance we can offer.

Cover not due yet?

Why not use our free renewal reminder service and let us remind you when it is time to shop around for quotes. There is no obligation to call us - but we hope you do. If you give us permission, we will give you a call.

Road Runner is part of the Aston Scott Group, combining the commercial insurance skills of Aston Scott Ltd with the Health & Safety and Risk Management expertise of ASG Risk Management Ltd.

If our Road Runner Scheme is not suitable for your requirements, we may well be able to assist you with the wider range of products available to us and suited to the more complex motor trade businesses and a wide range of other trades and professions. Why not give our specialists a call on 03301 000 562 and see if we can help you.

Image of mechanic working underneath car, supported on pillar lift

Office Closed

Sorry, we’re closed right now. Why not leave us some details and we’ll call you back when we are open.

Reputation Reviews

Road Runner is a trading name of Aston Scott Ltd. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Reg No. 308048). For your protection, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.

Copyright © Aston Scott Ltd 2015. All rights reserved. Road Runner, 28 Dingwall Road, Croydon, CR0 2NH. Tel: 0330 822 0468

This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. You can read more about the way it does this on our Cookies page. By continuing to use our website, you consent to our use of cookies.