Can I travel to Europe with my motor trade insurance?

If you are planning a trip abroad to Europe, or are needing to transport a vehicle (or multiple vehicles) across the continent, then it is vital you are aware of whether your insurance policy covers you whilst you are driving in a different country. Motor trade policies can vary, so it is important to check you are covered whilst driving in Europe before you travel.

The legal requirements

As part of the legal requirements placed upon companies who are providing an insurance policy, the minimum level of cover must be provided to you whilst you are driving in Europe including all EU countries. This means that you will automatically receive the lowest level of cover available, which may not be the same as the cover that your policy provides you with inside the UK. This will usually involve cover for road risks. Depending on the purpose of your trip, or how extensively you will be driving in Europe, you may want to consider what level of cover will be required. Your insurer will tell you if you need a Green Card, the international certificate that provides proof of insurance cover and should you require one they will issue one to you.  For more information about green cards visit the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB).

The level of protection

You can travel to Europe with your motor trade insurance cover, but your policy may not automatically cover you to the level that you may be expecting. It is recommended that you speak to your insurer about the potential insurance protection that you require whilst driving abroad.

Alternatively, you will need to advise your insurance company each time you travel to Europe and ask for an extension on your policy for individual trips. If you are driving regularly abroad then it is strongly advised that you add an extra clause if possible, if only to save time contacting your insurer in each instance. Motor trade policies often incorporate a more complex array of cover, and it’s necessary to ensure that you are satisfied with the cover you have.

If you have any queries regarding your current Road Runner motor trade insurance policy or would like to take out cover, including the option of driving in Europe, then please get in touch with our Customer Service team on 03301 00 87 20 (Option 3) for any foreign travel requests or enquiries. They will be more than happy to advise you on ensuring you receive the best level of cover for your requirements.