Vehicle Recovery Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need vehicle recovery insurance?

Whether you are self-employed or work for a large company as their sub-contractor, there are a host of reasons why you need vehicle recovery insurance:

  • you have a legal obligation for motor insurance to move any vehicle you have gone to recover;
  • vehicle recovery insurance may provide indemnity against claims raised by members of the public, passers-by, or customers who are injured or have their property damaged during your recovery operations; and
  • your own recovery vehicle, any premises from which you are operating, and all the tools and equipment you use in your business may need vehicle recovery insurance as protection against loss or damage.

Does it cover accidental damage to vehicles I am recovering?

Even with the sophistication of modern recovery equipment and the care you are likely to exercise while doing your job, customers’ vehicles may suffer further damage when you attempt their recovery.

Vehicle recovery insurance offers protection against such accidental loss or damage.

Is damage to a car I have on my recovery vehicle also covered?

Your vehicle recovery insurance may be extended to include Goods in Transit insurance.

This provides cover against theft, loss or damage of any car you are transporting on your recovery vehicle. It may also offer compensation for any penalties you need to pay for failing to keep to recovery deadlines as a result of delays beyond your control.

What about theft, loss or damage to my recovery vehicle?

You are likely to have made a significant investment in the purchase of your recovery vehicle and need the security and reassurance of sufficient compensation in the event of its theft, loss or damage to replace this essential business asset.

That protection is provided by recovery vehicle insurance – and the level of cover may be limited to third party cover only (to meet your basic legal obligations), third party, fire and theft, or fully comprehensive insurance.

Cover may also extend to the theft, loss or damage to tools and equipment used in your recovery operations.

Do I get a no claims discount?

Just as with regular motor insurance, you qualify for no claims discounts when you remain claims-free from one year to the next.

In return for the payment of a modest additional premium, you may also protect those bonuses you have already built up.

Want to find out more?

Getting suitable vehicle recovery insurance to meet the precise needs and requirements of your particular business may be complicated – but none the less essential to protecting your investment and the financial viability of your enterprise.

As specialists with the necessary expertise and experience in this area of insurance, here at Road Runner, we are ready to answer any questions you may have. Simply give us a call on 03301 00 87 20, fax us, write to us or email us to discuss your requirements in detail or to ask us for help and guidance on any aspect of the cover you may need for your vehicle recovery business.

If you are visiting the BIBA Twenty 18 exhibition in central Manchester on either the 16th or 17th of May this year, you might even take up the opportunity of meeting a member of our team manning Stand F81.