Continuous Insurance Enforcement FAQs

A vehicle will have to be insured unless it

  • has a valid SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice)
  • is exempted from SORN (as untaxed before 31/01/98 and has had no tax or SORN activity since)
  • is recorded by the DVLA as scrapped
  • is recorded by the DVLA as stolen and not recovered
  • is recorded by the DVLA as disposed to the motor trade
  • is recorded by the DVLA as disposed
  • is recorded by the DVLA as exported
  • is owned by the Crown.

You should check the Motor Insurance Database (MID) by using the free service at to check your vehicle registration is on the database. If the vehicle is missing or incorrect, or if you do not have access to the internet, please Contact Us straight away to check that the registration number of your car is recorded correctly.

Your car could be liable to be clamped, or you could receive a Fixed Penalty as well as possible further enforcement action.

You, as the registered keeper, would receive the IAL and be liable for any enforcement action if your wife does not insure the car or make a SORN declaration. Please remember though that our policy only covers vehicles owned by your wife or spouse if they are a named driver under the policy.

If you ignore the letter, the DVLA will then initiate enforcement action which may include:

  • a £100 fine (Fixed Penalty Notice)
  • your details being added to the DVLA’s wheel clamping partners list
  • a court prosecution that carries a maximum fine of £1000
  • crushing the vehicle.

Visit for more information

To check that your vehicle is correctly recorded as ‘insured’ on the MID, visit the free service If you cannot find it, please Contact Us.

The Motor Insurers Bureau have produced a guide called Motor Trade and the MID which explains how this will affect various aspects of buying, selling, repairing and generally working with vehicles in the motor trade. You can read this by clicking here.

If you won’t be using your car in the winter, you must either make a SORN declaration or insure the car. If you don’t, you will receive an IAL and find enforcement action taken against you.

A valid motor insurance policy will still need to be purchased if you intend to keep the vehicle and do not declare a SORN. If the vehicle remains uninsured as identified by the database comparison, you could still, without any further warning, be subject to further enforcement action.

If you lease your car you will be the registered keeper and so would receive the IAL and any other letters and so will be liable for any enforcement action if you do not insure the car or make a SORN declaration.

The laws were introduced to reduce the number of uninsured drivers and riders on the road, which were forcing the price of insurance premiums up.

At the time of its introduction February 2011, uninsured vehicle owners cost motorists £30 per annual premium on average, totalling more than £500m every year in total.

It is estimated that uninsured motorists injure some 26,500 people every year, with 130 fatalities.

This is coupled with a startling figure from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), which states that uninsured motorists are five times more likely to be involved in road accidents, criminal activity and ignore road laws.

It is anticipated that CIE, in conjunction with continued police enforcement activity, will further reduce the level of uninsured driving on British roads by around 40%. This will help keep down the costs to responsible motorists who pay for the cost of uninsured driving through insurance premiums. Further information on the change in law is also available from