New Customer FAQs

Do I need a Motor Trade Insurance policy?

If you have customers’ vehicles in your care, custody and/or control in order to carry out your business in the motor trade, then yes – you will need a motor trade Road Risks policy. It lets you safely road test, collect or deliver a vehicle immediately before and after repair, service, valeting, MOT test or other work on it.

If you’re involved in Vehicle Sales, it covers vehicles you acquire for trade purposes during collection and/or delivery either immediately after purchase or immediately before sale. It can also cover using the vehicle for accompanied demonstration.

If you’re involved in Vehicle Sales, it covers vehicles you acquire for trade purposes during collection and/or delivery either immediately after purchase or immediately before sale. It can also cover using the vehicle for accompanied demonstration.

How can I buy a Road Runner policy?

Just talk to our Sales Team on 03301 00 87 20 (Option 1) to get a free quote and arrange your cover. If you need immediate cover, we take payment over the phone and we offer a range of payment options too. You can also use our online form and we’ll call you back.

Can I protect my motor trade no claims bonus?

Yes, you can choose to pay an additional premium to protect your no claims bonus on your policy. However, please make sure you ask us when you either take out or renew policy – as this cannot be added during the policy period.

What types of vehicle can be covered under my motor trade policy with Road Runner Motor Trade insurance?

Vehicles must be the property of the Policyholder or the Policyholder’s spouse (where they are a named driver on the policy). Cover applies under the Road Risks and Premises policies. We cannot cover vehicles owned by an employee.

There are also certain restrictions on the types that can be covered and the extent of cover available for certain vehicles, but we will explain any relevant restrictions as part of our quote. If you already have a policy with us, your policy schedule will include details of the restricted vehicles.

Why do I need to provide you with copy driving licences?

Sadly, fraud is a real risk in today’s insurance market. We ask for a copy driving licence for all drivers insured on one of our policies to help protect you from the cost of this.

So to help keep you safe, for all drivers named on your policy, please send us:

  • current copies of the back and front of the driving licence photocard
  • the DVLA share code for all drivers as it is written.

You can get the DVLA share code for each driver by logging onto the Government website.

When giving us this information, please make sure you get permission from all the drivers.

Can I pay by instalments?

Yes, we offer a range of instalment options. See details of how to pay for more information.

Are there any restrictions on how a vehicle is used when it’s being driven under motor trade insurance?

Yes, there are certain restrictions. A vehicle must be used in line with the cover that’s provided, so this can be:

  • Motor trade use only
  • Social, domestic and pleasure
  • Commuting or additional business use.

The use provided will often be different for each driver, so make sure you check the Cover Note or Certificate of Insurance, which will detail this.

Please note that customers’ vehicles can only be driven for motor trade purposes – you cannot drive them for any other reason.

Can you cover part-time motor traders?

Yes – as long as your involvement in the motor trade is as a business, not as a hobby, it’s likely we can provide you with motor trade insurance. We may also be able to provide cover for driving in connection with your main occupation – just ask.

You can find out more in our guide to cover for ‘Part Time Motor Trade Insurance‘.

I work with motorcycles. Will Road Runner cover me?

Yes, we can provide cover for motor traders working with motorcycles. We can also insure a motorbike owned by you for ‘social, domestic and pleasure’ and ‘commuting’ use. However, depending on your age and the type of motorcycle, some restrictions in cover may apply – so please do ask one of our team for advice if you’re looking for motorbike cover.

Can you insure Trikes?

Yes, we treat trikes in the same way as motorcycles. So if you own trikes, or work with them for motor trade purposes, please let us know so we can ensure you’re covered for these.

Can you insure Quads and All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

As quads and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are specialist types of vehicle, any you own would need to be insured under its own policy. However, if you work with quads or ATVs occasionally as part of your motor trade business, please talk to us as we may be able to provide cover.

Can I accept a new policy online?

Yes, once we have completed our routine validation checks your quotation will be made available for you to view and buy online.

What is proof of trading?

Proof of trading (POT) refers to any documentation in relation to works you have carried out or vehicles you have sold that proves how you’ve been trading. You could be asked to provide it at any time, not just in the event of a claim, so it’s important you keep any invoices and receipts related to running your business.

For new ventures with trade experience, we need proof of trading for the past 12 months before the start of the policy.

How do I give you the documents you’ve asked for?

The easiest way is to upload them via your online account. You can also scan and email them to us, or simply post them.

How do I get access to the online portal?

Just let us know a valid email address for you and we’ll use it to set up your account.