21 August 2020

Saving the stranded - why insurance is necessary for Vehicle Recovery operators

By Road Runner
Vehicle recovery operator

As a vehicle recovery and breakdown operator, you need to make sure that you are suitably covered, while attending to motorists who have experienced difficulties on their journeys.

Whether you work truly for yourself or as a subcontractor for a bigger firm, Road Runner can offer cover options to keep you protected when you’re out on the road, saving the stranded. It’s important to make sure you get the necessary cover, which is likely to include cover for your vehicles, as well as those you are towing or working with.

What kind of insurance do vehicle recovery operators need?

Of course, it depends on your business requirements, and how you operate, but in general, some of the cover options could be:

  • Vehicles in transit cover – you’d be surprised but claims against you may arise if a customer’s vehicle is damaged while in transit or on your recovery truck.
  • Liability insurance – this would cover you against claims from members of the public, or third parties, for any accidents, injuries or death. Liability cover is also useful when it comes to covering damage to customer property as a result of your business activities.
  • Insurance for goods, plant, machinery, stock and portable hand tools kept in a van. Cover is available for tools left overnight too.
  • Premises insurance – if you are a recovery operator with a physical premise, then you may want to look at this sort of cover, which would protect you and your business
Do you need vehicle recovery operator insurance?

First off, you will need to establish if you will be using your recovery vehicle to carry other vehicles from your garage for maintenance and repairs. If not, you may decide that you will be using your truck for transporting other vehicles.

Before you decide on what the right cover for you is, there are a few things to think about, which include:

  • The vehicles you are looking after
  • Your business assets
  • Any employees and the extent of their involvement in recovery
  • The potential accidents which could affect your business

It is recommended that you carry out a risk assessment to highlight potential risks and the related outcomes should that risk play out. The cover you will require will ultimately depend on your business circumstances and how you operate.

Why use Road Runner?

We’ve been riding shotgun with vehicle recovery operators for over 25 years, helping with insurance requirements, so we know all the cover options available to you.

Get in touch to see if we can get you a better deal than you’re on now. Don’t worry, there’s no obligation if it’s not for you.

Speak to the Road Runner team today on 03301 00 87 20 or request a call back – let’s get you covered.

Related Articles