Core Products

We’re with you and the motor tradeFind out more about how existing customers can benefit, latest offers, trades we cover and our products.
Give us a call
03301 00 87 20
Make an enquiry
The original motor trade insurance specialists

Hi, we’re Road Runner and we’ve been placing insurance for independent motor traders for over 25 years. In fact, we were one of the very first brokers to specialise in this area. Over the years we’ve built up a vast bank of experience – so we can offer you expert Road Risks, Liability and Premises insurance that could help save you money.

Our team members take pride in getting to know you and your business, so we can find you a flexible and competitive policy that’s built around your exact needs, not filled with pointless extras.

From roadside rescue, to bodyshop repairs, to second-hand sales – we understand all the moving parts of the motor trade. That’s why our cover is tuned to your specific needs, because we know there’s no one-size-fits-all policy in this business.

So whether you’re full-time or part-time, our cover is designed to support you – whichever part of the trade you work in.

Just take a look at our cover options, and get in touch for a quote.

“Have been insured with Road Runner for 20+ years, highly recommend”

Paul, on Facebook

What is motor trade insurance?

Motor trade insurance is specialist cover for anyone who works with vehicles as part of their business. This applies to a whole range of roles – from a trader selling vehicles or running a servicing and repair workshop, to those working in SMART repairs, valeting, vehicle recovery and more.

You need this insurance because, when a customer leaves their vehicle in your care, their individual motor policy no longer covers the vehicle – leaving you vulnerable. You need to have your own cover in place that’s tailored to how you trade, keeping you and your business protected.

In particular, if you’re ever responsible for your own or your customers’ vehicles, it’s really important you get some Road Risks cover. But don’t worry, we’ve got all the info you need on our FAQs page, such as:

  • Can I protect my motor trade no claims bonus?
  • Does Road Runner cover part-time traders?
  • I’m part-time and employees work for me – can you insure me?
  • Can I pay for my insurance in instalments?
Who needs it?

Essentially, you’ll need motor trade insurance if you work in any of these areas:

Vehicle sales

Whether it’s your full-time job or a part-time side-business that brings in some extra cash, buying and selling vehicles means you need Road Risks cover. If you work on-site, we offer combined cover to protect your premises too.

Vehicle recovery

If you’re a breakdown and recovery operator, then you’ll need a policy that covers both your own vehicles and any third-party vehicles that you tow or work on. We offer insurance that’s tailored to these needs.


As a mechanic it’s likely you’ll want to protect any tools and machinery you own, as well as other contents in your premises. And as you work on customer vehicles, public liability protection is pretty important too. 

Accessory fitters

From fitting an exhaust to changing a tyre, you need insurance that covers you to carry out work on customers’ vehicles. Liability insurance covers both the work you do and the parts you fit.

Let's get you covered

Road Runner. We’re with you.